Re: strange para/programlisting pattern in sgml docs

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: strange para/programlisting pattern in sgml docs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 25.11.23 21:44, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> while working on a patch I noticed we do this in the SGML docs (for
> example in indexam.sgml and a bunch of other files):
>
>    <para>
>      ... some text ...
>    </para>
>
>    <para>
> <programlisting>
> some code
> </programlisting>
>     ... description of the code.
>    </para>
>
> That is, the program listing is in a paragraph that starts immediately
> before it. I just noticed this ends up like this in the HTML:

>    <pre>some code</pre>

> but it seems to render fine (at least in Firefox), so maybe it looks
> weird but is not a problem in practice ...

This is because in HTML you can't have <pre> inside <p> but in DocBook
you can have <programlisting> inside <para> (and other similar cases).
So the DocBook XSLT stylesheets fix that up by splitting the <p> into
separate <p> elements before and after the <pre>.  It's just a
coincidence that one of them is empty in this case.