Re: [HACKERS] PL/pgSQL - for discussion

От Thomas G. Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PL/pgSQL - for discussion
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>     as  I  proposed,  I'm  now  starting on the PL/pgSQL loadable
>     procedural language.
>     Please comment/suggest !
>     Someone gave a hint about global variables existing during  a
>     session.   What  is  a  session  than?  One  transaction? The
>     backends lifetime?  And should global variables be visible by
>     more  than one function?  I vote for NO! In that case we need
>     something like packages of functions that share globals.

This looks nice. SQL92 (and presumably SQL3) has the concept of global
and local, temporary and permanent, tables. I believe that it also has
the concept of variables with the same possible combinations of
behaviors, but I'm not finding that in my books at the moment.

Clearly if we have these features in the backend someday, then there
would need to be hooks for your PL to use also. No need for you to
provide these if the backend doesn't help you imho.

I haven't had a chance to read the main portion of your document yet...

                      - Tom