Re: [HACKERS] PSQL man page patch

От Vadim B. Mikheev
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PSQL man page patch
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] PSQL man page patch  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter T Mount wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
>
> > I'm in favor of it also, perhaps as a libpq function call which is used in
> > psql. That way, other apps or frontends can choose to use it or not.
> >
> > Would much prefer leaving it out as a _mandatory_ part of connection
> > initialization, since there will be side-effects for embedded apps. Combined
> > with PGDATESTYLE and PGTZ there will be pretty good control over the frontend
> > environment.
>
> I agree entirely with you Tom, as this could cause problems if it was a
> _mandatory_ part of connecting.

Agreed!

BTW, do you like X11 ?

XLock.background:            Black
Netscape*background:        #B2B2B2

How about following this way ?

psql.pgdatestyle:        euro    # this is for psql
_some_app_.pgdatestyle:    iso    # this is for some application
pgaccess.background:    black    # setting pgaccess' specific feature
*.pggeqo:        on=3    # this is for all applics

We could use 'pg' prefix for standard features (datestyle, tz, etc)
to give applic developers ability to set applic' specific features
in the pgsqlrc file(s).

Vadim