Re: [HACKERS] Re: varchar() troubles

От Thomas G. Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: varchar() troubles
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Pretty sure only after but it's hard to tell for sure. My trees for 971204
> and 971222 both core dump on inserts to varchar, but I can't remember what
> else I was doing with the trees at the time.

I now recall that the varchar code was broken during this time (for who knows
how long?), as I discovered when trying to reproduce the tutorial results for
the documentation.

The problem was that some things were copied using VARSIZE rather than
subtracting out VARHDRSZ first (actually, I think it might have use
sizeof(int) and other dangers too). I patched that near the end of the year
and my 980101.d tree and 980106.d tree do not exhibit the symptom:

postgres=> create table t (v varchar(80),i int);
CREATE
postgres=> insert into t values ('hi', 1);
INSERT 643562 1
postgres=> select * from t;
v |i
--+-