Re: [HACKERS] include/config.h FOLLOWUP

От Vadim B. Mikheev
Тема Re: [HACKERS] include/config.h FOLLOWUP
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Integration wrote:

> ps. why not allow for larger tuples in general?  Do we take a speed hit?

Using large blocks is bad for performance: by increasing block size
you automatically decrease number of blocks in shared buffer pool -
this is bad for index scans and in multi-user environment!
Just remember that Informix (and others) use 2K blocks.
(Actually, I would like to have smaller blocks, but postgres lives
over file system...)

As for having big tuples - someone said about multi-representation
feature of Illustra (automatically storing of big fields outside
of tuple itself - in blobs, large objects, ...): looks very nice.

Vadim

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] include/config.h FOLLOWUP
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] include/config.h FOLLOWUP