Re: Future of our regular expression code

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Future of our regular expression code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Billy Earney <billy.earney@gmail.com> writes:
> Thanks for your reply.  So is the group leaning towards just maintaining
> the current regex code base, or looking into introducing a new library
> (RE2, PCRE, etc)?   Or is this still open for discussion?

Well, introducing a new library would create compatibility issues that
we'd just as soon not deal with, so I think that that's only likely
to be seriously entertained if we decide that Spencer's code is
unmaintainable.  That's not a foregone conclusion; IMO the only fact
in evidence is that the Tcl community isn't getting it done.

Since Brendan Jurd has volunteered to try to split that code out into a
standalone library, I think such a decision really has to wait until we
see if (a) he's successful and (b) the result attracts some kind of
community around it.  So in short, let's give him a couple years and
then if things are no better we'll revisit this issue.