Re: Allow CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL and REINDEX to change tablespace onthe fly

От Alexey Kondratov
Тема Re: Allow CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL and REINDEX to change tablespace onthe fly
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Surafel,

Thank you for looking at the patch!

On 17.09.2019 14:04, Surafel Temesgen wrote:
> * There are NOWAIT option in alter index, is there a reason not to
> have similar option here?

Currently in Postgres SET TABLESPACE always comes with [ NOWAIT ]
option, so I hope it worth adding this option here for convenience.
Added in the new version.

> * SET TABLESPACE command is not documented

Actually, new_tablespace parameter was documented, but I've added a more
detailed section for SET TABLESPACE too.

> * There are multiple checking for whether the relation is temporary
> tables of other sessions, one in check_relation_is_movable and other
> independently

Yes, and there is a comment section in the code describing why. There is
a repeatable bunch of checks for verification whether relation movable
or not, so I put it into a separated function --
check_relation_is_movable. However, if we want to do only REINDEX, then
some of them are excess, so the only one RELATION_IS_OTHER_TEMP is used.
Thus, RELATION_IS_OTHER_TEMP is never executed twice, just different
code paths.

> *+ char *tablespacename;
>
> calling it new_tablespacename will make it consistent with other places

OK, changed, although I don't think it is important, since this is the
only one tablespace variable there.

> *The patch did't applied cleanly
> http://cfbot.cputube.org/patch_24_2269.log

Patch is rebased and attached with all the fixes described above.

Regards

--
Alexey Kondratov

Postgres Professional https://www.postgrespro.com