Re: unnesting multirange data types

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: unnesting multirange data types
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 6/13/21 5:18 PM, Alexander Korotkov wrote:

>> "Expands an array into a set of rows. The array's elements are read out
>> in storage order."
>>
>> If we tweaked the multirange "unnest" function, we could change it to:
>>
>> +       <para>
>> +        Expands a multirange into a set of rows.
>> +        The ranges are read out in storage order (ascending).
>> +       </para>
>>
>> to match what the array "unnest" function docs, or
>>
>> +       <para>
>> +        Expands a multirange into a set of rows that each
>> +        contain an individual range.
>> +        The ranges are read out in storage order (ascending).
>> +       </para>
>>
>> to be a bit more specific. However, I think this is also bordering on
>> overengineering the text, given there has been a lack of feedback on the
>> "unnest" array function description being confusing.
>
> I think it's not necessarily to say about rows here.  Our
> documentation already has already a number of examples, where we
> describe set of returned values without speaking about rows including:
> json_array_elements, json_array_elements_text, json_object_keys,
> pg_listening_channels, pg_tablespace_databases...

I do agree -- my main point was that I don't think we need to change
anything. I proposed alternatives just to show some other ways of
looking at it. But as I mentioned, at this point I think it's
overengineering the text.

If folks are good with the method + code, I think this is ready.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения