Re: BUG #17207: Bad cost estimate of Merge Join despite correct row estimate

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #17207: Bad cost estimate of Merge Join despite correct row estimate
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
I wrote:
> I've not yet figured out what the connection is, but a reasonable
> bet is that there's an edge case associated with the ranges of the
> two join keys being exactly the same.

Hmm, no, that's not it.  The problem stems from the weird statistics
we have for the smaller table's join column:

 attname | most_common_vals | most_common_freqs | histogram_bounds
---------+------------------+-------------------+------------------
 user_id | {1}              | {0.6666667}       |

We have an MCV item for "1", because it's repeated, but there's no
histogram (since, with only one other value, there'd be no way to
make one).  Despite this, get_variable_range() cheerfully decides
that the range of values of "user_id" is from 1 to 1, and then
mergejoinscansel() concludes that only an insignificant fraction
of the bigger table need be scanned.

The apparent dependency on commit 7d08ce286 is a bit artificial.
We need to calculate the fraction of the bigger table that
has id <= 1 (the supposed upper bound of the smaller table).
Before that commit, that was approximated as "id < 1", and we got
an estimate of exactly 0.  With accurate handling of <=, we
realize that the estimate should be a shade larger than zero.
However, there's a bogus-estimate detector at the end of
mergejoinscansel:

    if (*rightstart >= *rightend)
    {
        *rightstart = 0.0;
        *rightend = 1.0;
    }

In v10, we have both rightstart and rightend exactly zero at this
point, so the BS detector trips and restores a sane rightend.
In later versions, that doesn't happen so we accept the not-too-sane
rightend value.

It seems clear that the appropriate fix is to make get_variable_range
more cautious.  We could decide that it should always require a
histogram to be present in order to succeed.  However, I'm worried
that that would result in unnecessary loss of accuracy in cases where
the MCV list covers all of the table (which is typically true for
enum-like columns).  So I'm thinking that if it sees an MCV list and
no histogram, it should succeed only if the MCV frequencies sum to 1,
with some small allowance for roundoff error.