Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

От Kevin Hunter
Тема Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
At 10:36a -0400 on 27 Apr 2007, Tom Lane wrote:
> That's been proposed and rejected before, too; the main problem being
> that initdb is frequently a layer or two down from the user (eg,
> executed by initscripts that can't pass extra arguments through, even
> assuming they're being invoked by hand in the first place).

And following after Dan Harris' response . . .

So what's the problem with having some sort of cronjob contrib module
that utilizes the actual and current statistics to make
recommendations?  I don't think it'd be right to simply change the
configuration options as it sees fit (especially as it was pointed
out that many run multiple postmasters or have other uses for the
machines in question), but perhaps it could send a message (email?)
along the lines of "Hey, I'm currently doing this many of X
transactions, against this much of Y data, and working under these
constraints.  You might get better performance (in this area ... ) if
you altered the the configurations options like so: ..."

Certainly not for the masters, but perhaps for standard installation
sort of deals, sort of liking bringing up the rear . . . just a thought.

Kevin

Сообщение: Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Сообщение: Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning