Re: Hardware related question: 3ware 9500S

От Alex Turner
Тема Re: Hardware related question: 3ware 9500S
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Raid 5 on the 9550SX is supposed to be significantly better than the 9500 series.

I would be carefull of benchmarks listed out there.  For instance, whilst looking for supporting material, I came cross this gem:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/print_content.asp?id=9550sx4lp&cookie%5Ftest=1

They claim the they used a Tyan Thunder K8WE motherboard, and installed the RAID controllers in a 64-bit 133MHz PCI-X slot.  This motherboard doesn't have any 64-bit 133Mhz PCI-X slots! ( http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigerk8we_spec.html).
It's no wonder that the other raid controllers showed significantly less performance than the PCI-e card.

This review from tomshardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/10/31/sata_spells_trouble_for_scsi_raid/page13.html

Suggests that the 9550SX is at least competitive with the others.

I know I like the 3ware/AMCC cards because of their very good RAID 10 performance.  I'm not a big RAID 5 fan.  RAID 5 sufferes the read before write penalty problem that make RAID 5 writes very slow, particularly noticebale in OLTP applications.  RAID 10 will almost always offer better write perfomance.

I wish we could set up an organization to do benchmarks with pgbench on various different RAID controllers/drives and publish the results.  I know I would pay money for that.

Alex

On 4/15/06, Francisco Reyes <lists@stringsutils.com > wrote:
Merlin Moncure writes:

> escalade is a fairly full featured raid controller for the price.
> consider it the ford taurus of raid controllers, it's functional and
> practical but not sexy.  Their S line is not native sata but operates
> over a pata->sata bridge.  Stay away from raid 5.

Do you know if their raid 5 is better in the new 9550SX?

Or is the "Stay away from raid 5" more of a general comment that this type
of raid is not good for DBs?

               http://archives.postgresql.org