Re: choosing RAID level for xlogs

От Alex Turner
Тема Re: choosing RAID level for xlogs
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Theoretically RAID 5 can perform better than RAID 10 over the same
number of drives (more members form the stripe in RAID 5 than in RAID
10).  All you have to do is calculate parity faster than the drives
can write.  Doesn't seem like a hard task really, although most RAID
controllers seem incapable of doing so, it is possible that Clariion
might be able to acheive it.  The other factor is that for partial
block writes, the array has to first read the original block in order
to recalculate the parity, so small random writes are very slow.  If
you are writing chunks that are larger than your stripe size*(n-1),
then in theory the controller doesn't have to re-read a block, and can
just overwrite the parity with the new info.

Consider just four drives.  in RAID 10, it is a stripe of two mirrors,
forming two independant units to write to.  in RAID 5, it is a 3 drive
stripe with parity giving three independant units to write to.
Theoretically the RAID 5 should be faster, but I've yet to benchmark a
controler where this holds to be true.

Of course if you ever do have a drive failure, your array grinds to a
halt because rebuilding a raid 5 requires reading (n-1) blocks to
rebuild just one block where n is the number of drives in the array,
whereas a mirror only required to read from a single spindle of the
RAID.

I would suggest running some benchmarks at RAID 5 and RAID 10 to see
what the _real_ performance actualy is, thats the only way to really
tell.

Alex Turner
NetEconomist

On 8/16/05, Anjan Dave <adave@vantage.com> wrote:
> Yes, that's true, though, I am a bit confused because the Clariion array
> document I am reading talks about how the write cache can eliminate the
> RAID5 Write Penalty for sequential and large IOs...resulting in better
> sequential write performance than RAID10.
>
> anjan

Сообщение: Re: choosing RAID level for xlogs
Сообщение: Re: choosing RAID level for xlogs