Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?

От Alex Turner
Тема Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Дата
Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?  (William Yu <wyu@talisys.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
I'm no drive expert, but it seems to me that our write performance is
excellent.  I think what most are concerned about is OLTP where you
are doing heavy write _and_ heavy read performance at the same time.

Our system is mostly read during the day, but we do a full system
update everynight that is all writes, and it's very fast compared to
the smaller SCSI system we moved off of.  Nearly a 6x spead
improvement, as fast as 900 rows/sec with a 48 byte record, one row
per transaction.

I don't know enough about how SATA works to really comment on it's
performance as a protocol compared with SCSI.  If anyone has a usefull
link on that, it would be greatly appreciated.

More drives will give more throughput/sec, but not necesarily more
transactions/sec.  For that you will need more RAM on the controler,
and defaintely a BBU to keep your data safe.

Alex Turner
netEconomist