Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering

От Alex Turner
Тема Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering  (Christopher Weimann <cweimann@k12hq.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
At this point I will interject a couple of benchmark numbers based on
a new system we just configured as food for thought.

System A (old system):
Compaq Proliant Dual Pentium III 933 with Smart Array 5300, one RAID
1, one 3 Disk RAID 5 on 10k RPM drives, 2GB PC133 RAM.  Original
Price: $6500

System B (new system):
Self Built Dual Opteron 242 with 2x3ware 9500S-8MI SATA, one RAID 1
(OS), one 4 drive RAID 10 (pg_xlog), one 6 drive RAID 10 (data) on 10k
RPM Raptors, 4GB PC3200 RAM.  Current price $7200

System A for our large insert job: 125 minutes
System B for our large insert job: 10 minutes.

There is no logical way there should be a 12x performance difference
between these two systems,  maybe 2x or even 4x, but not 12x

Bad controler cards/configuration will seriously ruin your day.  3ware
escalade cards are very well supported on linux, and work excellently.
 Compaq smart array cards are not.  Bonnie++ benchmarks show a 9MB/sec
write, 29MB/sec read on the RAID 5, but a 172MB/sec write on the
6xRAID 10, and 66MB/sec write on the RAID 1 on the 3ware.

With the right configuration you can get very serious throughput.  The
new system is processing over 2500 insert transactions per second.  We
don't need more RAM with this config.  The disks are fast enough.
2500 transaction/second is pretty damn fast.

Alex Turner