Re: which dual-CPU hardware/OS is fastest for PostgreSQL?

От Alex Turner
Тема Re: which dual-CPU hardware/OS is fastest for PostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
$4000 is not going to get you much disk - If you buy components from
the cheapest source I know (newegg.com) you end up around $5k with
14x36gig Raptor SATA drives and a 4U chasis with a 14xSATA built in
back plane packing 2x9500S AMCC Escalade RAID cards, which are
supported in Linux, 4Gig RAM and 2xOpteron 242.  If you are not CPU
bound, there isn't much point going to 246.   If you want SCSI, then
you will be paying more.  Check out rackmountmart.com for Chasises,
they have a nice 5U that has a 24xSATA backplane (We will be acquiring
this in the next few weeks).  If you really want to go nuts, they have
an 8U with 40xSATA backplane.

Alex Turner
NetEconomist

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:33:09 -0500, Merlin Moncure
<merlin.moncure@rcsonline.com> wrote:
> > Subject: [PERFORM] which dual-CPU hardware/OS is fastest for
> PostgreSQL?
> >
> > I'm sorry if there's a URL out there answering this, but I couldn't
> find
> > it.
> >
> > For those of us that need the best performance possible out of a
> > dedicated dual-CPU PostgreSQL server, what is recommended?
> >
> > AMD64/Opteron or i386/Xeon?
> >
> > Linux or FreeBSD or _?_
> >
> > I'm assuming hardware RAID 10 on 15k SCSI drives is fastest disk
> > performance.
> >
> > Any hardware-comparison benchmarks out there showing the results for
> > different PostgreSQL setups?
>
> My recommendation would be:
> 2 way or 4 way Opteron depending on needs (looking on a price for 4-way?
> Go here: http://www.swt.com/qo3.html).  Go no less than Opteron 246.
> Tyan motherboard
> Serial ATA controller by 3ware (their latest escalade series size for
> your needs) (if money is no object, go scsi).  Make sure you pick up the
> bbu.
> Redhat Linux FC3 x86-64
> Good memory (DDR400 registered, at least)...lots of it.
>
> You can get a two way rackmount for under 4000$.  You can get a 4-way
> for under 10k$.  Make sure you pick up a rackmount case that has a
> serial ATA backplane that supports led status light for disk drives, and
> make sure you get the right riser, heh.
>
> Merlin

Сообщение: Re: which dual-CPU hardware/OS is fastest for PostgreSQL?
Сообщение: Re: which dual-CPU hardware/OS is fastest for PostgreSQL?