Re: pg_dump --split patch

От Joel Jacobson
Тема Re: pg_dump --split patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Sent from my iPhone

On 28 dec 2010, at 21:45, Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com> wrote:

The problem I see with suffixing a sequence id to the objects with name collision is that one day the dump may name myfunc(int) as myfunc.sql and after an overloaded version is created, say myfunc(char, int), then the same myfunc(int) may be dumped in myfunc-2.sql, which again is non-deterministic.

I agree, good point!
Perhaps abbreviations are to prefer, e.g., myfunc_i, myfunc_i_c, etc to reduce the need of truncating filenames.

Also, it is a project policy that we do not introduce new features in back branches, so spending time on an 8.4.6 patch may not be the best use of your time.

My company is using 8.4 and needs this feature, so I'll have to patch it anyway :)

Regards,
--
gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company