question about upper limit on TEXT size

От Cindy
Тема question about upper limit on TEXT size
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi, all.  I'm working with a database record that includes one field
of type text.  It's my understanding there is no upper limit on this
data type's size.  However, I'm running into size related problems
with this.  It could be due to the interface I'm using (my programs
are in C, and I'm using the libpq-fe.h interface (version 1.80 of
2001/11/08).  On the PGresult var I'm getting back, the
PQresultErrorMessage is telling me ERROR: Tuple is too big: size
54776, max size 8128

Is this a limit imposed by the C interface?  Or something else?  I
tried the same INSERT command causing the failure at the psql
commandline interface and got a core dump.  If I shorten up the TEXT
field to something on one line or so, the command goes okay (so it's
not something else in the format of that command).

Thoughts, comments?  This is very annoying, as I do need to be able to
put in very large amounts of text into that field now and then.

Thanks,
--Cindy
--
ctmoore@uci.edu