Re: Merge into does not work

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Merge into does not work
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/26/21 12:10, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2021-Nov-26, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> On 11/26/21 11:44, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> On 2021-Nov-26, Shaozhong SHI wrote:
>>>
>>> I am using the MERGE patch I posted here[1], on top of Postgres 15.
>>>
>>> https://postgr.es/m/202111152245.byerxxac444d@alvherre.pgsql
>>
>> A patch that as AFAIK is not even committed to what is at best an alpha
>> version would in my opinion not qualify as ready much less supported. I look
>> forward to seeing it make it in, but I would hardly recommend it for general
>> use.
>
> All true.  I'm recruiting testers.

Which is great, that was not how it was presented though:

'It does work for me ...'

The issue being there are already folks that come across:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SQL_MERGE

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SQL_MERGE_Patch_Status

and do a partial read on the pages and leap to the conclusion the MERGE
exists in Postgres.

I fully expect people to see:

"
It does work for me:

55479 15devel 680346=# MERGE INTO Stock USING Buy ON Stock.item_id =
Buy.item_id
  WHEN MATCHED THEN UPDATE SET balance = balance + Buy.volume
  WHEN NOT MATCHED THEN INSERT VALUES (Buy.item_id, Buy.volume);
MERGE 2
Duración: 3,879 ms
55479 15devel 680346=# select * from stock;
  item_id │ balance
─────────┼─────────
       20 │    1900
       10 │    3200
       30 │     300
(3 filas)
"

quit reading and then ask why MERGE does not exist in their instance?

My two cents worth.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com