Re: pg 7.0.2-2 vacuum slowness / loop? (fwd)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pg 7.0.2-2 vacuum slowness / loop? (fwd)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> forwards:
> I'm currently encountering problems using postgresql 7.0.2-2 on a potato
> system: PostgreSQL works fine, except that vacuuming seems to loop or take a
> /very/ long time.  I'm working on a dual PIII 500 Mhz machine with a
> database of approx. 1.5 million records in a single table. An attempt to
> vacuum the databases on this machine started on friday evening, and still
> hasn't finished.

That does seem like a long time.  Do you have a lot of indexes on this
table?  Might be worth dropping the indexes, vacuuming, rebuilding

Also, run the vacuum with VERBOSE so you can see how far it's getting.