Re: jsonb format is pessimal for toast compression

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: jsonb format is pessimal for toast compression
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> writes:
> On 09/16/2014 10:37 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>> Do you feel that way *as a code maintainer*?  That is, if you ended up
>>> maintaining the JSONB code, would you still feel that it's worth the
>>> extra complexity?  Because that will be the main cost here.

>> I feel that Heikki doesn't have a reputation for writing or committing
>> unmaintainable code.
>> I haven't reviewed the patch.

> The patch I posted was not pretty, but I'm sure it could be refined to
> something sensible.

We're somewhat comparing apples and oranges here, in that I pushed my
approach to something that I think is of committable quality (and which,
not incidentally, fixes some existing bugs that we'd need to fix in any
case); while Heikki's patch was just proof-of-concept.  It would be worth
pushing Heikki's patch to committable quality so that we had a more
complete understanding of just what the complexity difference really is.

> There are many possible variations of the basic scheme of storing mostly
> lengths, but an offset for every N elements. I replaced the length with
> offset on some element and used a flag bit to indicate which it is.

Aside from the complexity issue, a demerit of Heikki's solution is that it
eats up a flag bit that we may well wish we had back later.  On the other
hand, there's definitely something to be said for not breaking
pg_upgrade-ability of 9.4beta databases.

> Perhaps a simpler approach would be to store lengths, but also store a
> separate smaller array of offsets, after the lengths array.

That way would also give up on-disk compatibility, and I'm not sure it's
any simpler in practice than your existing solution.