Re: Backups with continuous archiving

От Vibhor Kumar
Тема Re: Backups with continuous archiving
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mar 22, 2011, at 5:20 AM, runner wrote:
> A) CREATING FILESSYSTEM SNAPSHOTS - We're snapping the data, wal and archive directories.  We only plan on using the
datasnap and that's just so we can perform the backup faster.  Will the wal and archive snapshots be useful for
anything?

Archived WAL would be require for PITR/to take the Online Backup to Consistent State.
You can try: i) pg_start_backup, ii) Snapshot of data Directory, iii) Tar Archived WAL.

Snapshot of Archived WAL File should work, however, at the place of using snapshot of Archived WAL Files, I would
recommendto use OS Command to backup the WAL Files.

> B) DELETING THE OLD ARCHIVE LOGS - After you have the data, wal and archive directories tarred up and saved
somewhere,how do you manage the deletion of the old archive logs?  Do you run a find command and delete based on the
ageof the file?  What the the best way to manage the removal of old archive logs?

Its totally upto you which method you want to follow.
tar command gives an option of deleting of files, after archiving it (--remove-files).

Thanks & Regards,
Vibhor Kumar
Blog:http://vibhork.blogspot.com

От: Vibhor Kumar
Сообщение: Re: Utilities for managing streaming replication servers?
От: Adrian Schreyer
Сообщение: Re: Weird problems with C extension and bytea as input type