Re: Why does pgindent's README say to download typedefs.list from the buildfarm?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Why does pgindent's README say to download typedefs.list from the buildfarm?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2024-Apr-22, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The main reason there's a delta is that people don't manage to
>> maintain the in-tree copy perfectly (at least, they certainly
>> haven't done so for this past year).  So we need to do that
>> to clean up every now and then.

> Out of curiosity, I downloaded the buildfarm-generated file and
> re-indented the whole tree.  It turns out that most commits seem to have
> maintained the in-tree typedefs list correctly when adding entries (even
> if out of alphabetical order), but a few haven't; and some people have
> added entries that the buildfarm script does not detect.

Yeah.  I believe that happens when there is no C variable or field
anywhere that has that specific struct type.  In your example,
NotificationHash appears to only be referenced in a sizeof()
call, which suggests that maybe the coding is a bit squirrely
and could be done another way.

Having said that, there already are manually-curated lists of
inclusions and exclusions hard-wired into pgindent (see around
line 70).  I wouldn't have any great objection to adding more
entries there.  Or if somebody wanted to do the work, they
could be pulled out into separate files.