PATCH: Spinlock Documentation

От Artem Luzyanin
Тема PATCH: Spinlock Documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello,

I am new to PostgreSQL community, but I would like to become a contributer eventually. I have read through your "Submitting Patch" guide and decided to follow "Start with submitting a patch that is small and uncontroversial to help them understand you, and to get you familiar with the overall process" suggestion.

I am interested in platform-specific spinlock implementation, so I looked at s_lock.h file for possible improvement. Since it took me some time to find possible areas of improvement, I would like to submit a small patch that would facilitate the process for future contributors (including myself). Since this is my first e-mail, please let me know if I should have done something differently in order to submit a patch for the community.

  Project name:
                Spinlock Documentation
  Uniquely identifiable file name:
                s_lock.h
  What the patch does:
                The patch implements addition to documentation in the mentioned above file. This addition outlines the current platform-specific implementations for an easy road map to what else could be done.
  Whether the patch is for discussion or for application:
                This patch is for application.
  Which branch the patch is against:
                This patch is against master branch.
  Whether it compiles and tests successfully:
                The changes allow for successful compilation and testing.
  Whether it contains any platform-specific items and if so, has it been tested on other platforms:
                This patch doesn’t have any platform-specific items.
  Confirm that the patch includes regression tests to check the new feature actually works as described.
                Since this is documentation improvement, regression tests are not needed.
  Include documentation on how to use the new feature, including examples:
                Since it’s documentation improvement, no documentation is needed for documentation.
  Describe the effect your patch has on performance, if any:
                No effect on performance. Unless we are talking about developer’s performance.
  Try to include a few lines about why you chose to do things particular ways:
                I have decided to include the mentioned documentation to outline the areas that need improvement. Any developer, looking for platform-specific code improvement implementation can now easily find the needed area.

Thank you for your time and help,

Artem Luzyanin

Вложения