Re: [BUGS] Re: Sigh, LIKE indexing is *still* broken in foreign locales

От Giles Lean
Тема Re: [BUGS] Re: Sigh, LIKE indexing is *still* broken in foreign locales
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 08:53:25 +0200  "Matthias Urlichs" wrote:

> To find the position in the index where it should start scanning.

Hmm.  That I guess is faster than locating the prefix given to LIKE in
the index and scanning back as well as forward.

> Personally, I am in the "store everything on the server in Unicode"
> camp. Let the parser convert everything to Unicode on the way in,
> and vice versa.

That would help the charater set problem, although there are people
that argue that Unicode is not acceptable for all languages.  (I only
note this; I don't have an opinion.)

I don't see that using Unicode helps very much with collation though
-- surely collation must still be locale specific, and the problems
with two-pass algorithms, and two-to-one and one-to-two mappings are
unchanged?

Regards,

Giles