Re: v11.5- v15.3 upgrade (linux)

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: v11.5- v15.3 upgrade (linux)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 3/7/24 07:47, David Gauthier wrote:
Please reply to list also.
Ccing list

>  >>I would definitely read the release notes for 12.0, 13.0, 14.0 and 15.0.
> Check !  None of the breaking changes affect me.
>

>  >>How are and from where are you installing the Postgres package(s)?
> IT does the installs.  I'd have to check with them.
> What would you recommend ? (again, linux installs)

I would use the packaging system for whatever Linux distro you are on.
In particular, if available, the community repos from here:

https://www.postgresql.org/download/

They generally offer more choice of Postgres versions for a given distro
version.

>  >>.The would be plan 2 if installing  the plperlu package is not possible
> We do not want or need plperlu on the 15.3 DB

Then you can skip installing that package, assuming you have cleared out
all references to plperlu in the 11 instance.

>  >> I would backup the 11.5 instance...
> Absolutely.  In fact, IT was planning on doing an 11.5 backup and
> restore on 15.3.  Unsure if restoring an 11.5 into a 15.3 is a wise
> approach.  Any thoughts on that?

According to item below that was already tested and worked. Is that correct?

>  >>The above is going to depend on the size of the database
> Relative to what PG can do, this one is small (a few million
> records/table tops).  No partitioning.
>
>  >>If you have the ability to do a test migration on a test machine
> where oops are not a problem that would be way to verify the 2) and 3)
> options.
> Already done.  He restored the 11.5 on 15.3 and I tested it.  Works fine.

So good to go, depending on extent of testing.

> I don't think I'll be able to sell the "3" option above to the IT
> group.  I think they'll want to do something simpler and with fewer steps.
> So the question is... option 1 or 2 ?  Or does it matter, either can work ?

If it where me it would be 1) as that gives you a fallback provision to
the original 11 instance.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: pl/pgsql outside the DB, (i.e. on the terminal) possible ?
Сообщение: Re: pl/pgsql outside the DB, (i.e. on the terminal) possible ?