Re: The synopsis of "ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES" statement is too difficult to understand

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: The synopsis of "ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES" statement is too difficult to understand
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> The syntax/synopsis of the "ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES" statement on the
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/sql-alterdefaultprivileges.html page can
> be simplified to the below form:
> [ factor out privileges and object type ]

Hmm.  I can't get too excited about doing that unless we refactor
the GRANT and REVOKE synopses similarly.  The factorization seems
a little weird too --- the sub-production is not just privileges,
but privileges and target object type (or in GRANT/REVOKE, it'd
be specific target object(s)).  Maybe that's okay, but I'm not 100%
sold on this way being any clearer.

Maybe it'd help to split the GRANT and REVOKE cases completely,
along the lines of

ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES
    [ FOR { ROLE | USER } target_role [, ...] ]
    [ IN SCHEMA schema_name [, ...] ]
    GRANT privilege_and_object_type
    TO { [ GROUP ] role_name | PUBLIC } [, ...] [ WITH GRANT OPTION ]

ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES
    [ FOR { ROLE | USER } target_role [, ...] ]
    [ IN SCHEMA schema_name [, ...] ]
    REVOKE [ GRANT OPTION FOR ] privilege_and_object_type
    FROM { [ GROUP ] role_name | PUBLIC } [, ...] [ CASCADE | RESTRICT ]

where privilege_and_object_type is one of:

{ SELECT | INSERT | UPDATE | DELETE | TRUNCATE | REFERENCES | TRIGGER }
    [, ...] | ALL [ PRIVILEGES ] }
    ON TABLES
... etc etc ...