Re: Leading comments and client applications

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Leading comments and client applications
Дата
Re: Leading comments and client applications  (Philip Semanchuk <philip@americanefficient.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Philip Semanchuk <philip@americanefficient.com> writes:
> I'm trying to understand a behavior where, with our Postgres client, a leading comment in a SQL script causes the
CREATEFUNCTION statement following it to be not executed. I can't figure out if this is a bug somewhere or just a
misunderstandingon my part. I would appreciate some help understanding.

Are you certain there's actually a newline after the comment?
The easiest explanation for this would be if something in the
SQLAlchemy code path were munging the newline.

A completely different line of thought is that the function
*does* get created, but inside a transaction that never
gets committed.  Either way, I think this is mainly a SQLAlchemy
question not a Postgres question.

As far as the comparison behavior goes, psql's parser strips
comments that start with double dashes, for $obscure_reasons.
The server is perfectly capable of ignoring those by itself,
though.  (Awhile back I tried to remove that psql behavior,
but it caused too much churn in our regression tests.)

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: Leading comments and client applications
От: Rob Sargent
Сообщение: Re: Leading comments and client applications