Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Daniel Verite" <daniel@manitou-mail.org> writes:
> Yes. For instance if the stored procedures support gets improved to
> produce several result sets, how is psql going to benefit from it
> while sticking to the old way (PGresult *r = PQexec(query))
> of executing queries that discards N-1 out of N result sets?

I'm not really holding my breath for that to happen, considering
it would involve fundamental breakage of the wire protocol.
(For example, extended query protocol assumes that Describe
Portal only needs to describe one result set.  There might be
more issues, but that one's bad enough.)

When and if we break all the things that would break, it'd be
time enough for incompatible changes in psql's behavior.