Re: Hash indexes and effective_cache_size in CREATE INDEX documentation

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Hash indexes and effective_cache_size in CREATE INDEX documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> writes:
>> The CREATE INDEX documentation states:
>> "For hash indexes, the value of effective_cache_size is also relevant
>> to index creation time: PostgreSQL will use one of two different hash
>> index creation methods depending on whether the estimated index size
>> is more or less than effective_cache_size.

> Oooh.  That should've been changed by 4adc2f72, and then again in
> 9563d5b5.  Will fix.

After looking at that a bit, I'm strongly tempted to just take out
the last two sentences of the para, reducing it to the advice concerning
maintenance_work_mem.  That seems sufficient to describe the current
behavior, and given our awful track record about maintaining this
documentation, I'm not sure that going into more detail is really
a good idea.  Comments?