Re: [PERFORM] Rowcount estimation changes based on from clause order

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [PERFORM] Rowcount estimation changes based on from clause order
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Ants Aasma <ants.aasma@eesti.ee> writes:
> I stumbled upon a severe row count underestimation that confusingly
> went away when two inner joins in the from clause were reordered.

Hm, looks more like an overestimate in this example, but anyway ...

> Does anybody have any idea what is going on here?

set_joinrel_size_estimates says
* Since there is more than one way to make a joinrel for more than two* base relations, the results we get here could
dependon which component* rel pair is provided.  In theory we should get the same answers no matter* which pair is
provided;in practice, since the selectivity estimation* routines don't handle all cases equally well, we might not.
Butthere's* not much to be done about it.

In this example I think the core of the issue is actually not so much
bad selectivity estimates as rowcount roundoff error.

If we first consider joining "small" with "big", we get an estimate of
2000 rows (which is dead on for what would happen if we just joined
those).  Then we estimate the final result size as the join of that to
"lookup".  The selectivity number for that step is somewhat hogwash but
happens to yield a result that's not awful (8 rows).

In the other case we first estimate the size of the join of "small" with
the "lookup" subquery, and we get a rounded-off estimate of one row,
whereas without the roundoff it would have been probably about 0.01.
When that's joined to "big", we are computing one row times 1 million rows
times a selectivity estimate that's about right for the "small.id =
big.small_id" clause; but because the roundoff already inflated the first
join's size so much, you end up with an inflated final result.

This suggests that there might be some value in considering the
sub-relations from largest to smallest, so that roundoff error
in the earlier estimates is less likely to contaminate the final
answer.  Not sure how expensive it would be to do that or what
sort of instability it might introduce into plan choices.

Whether that's got anything directly to do with your original problem is
hard to say.  Joins to subqueries, which we normally lack any stats for,
tend to produce pretty bogus selectivity numbers in themselves; so the
original problem might've been more of that nature.