Atomicity of UPDATE, interchanging values in unique column

От daniel alvarez
Тема Atomicity of UPDATE, interchanging values in unique column
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
UPDATE statements are not completely atomic in that index entries are
updated
separately for each row. A query interchanging two values within a column
declared
UNIQUE will fail due to the attempt of inserting a duplicate temporarily. It
seems
like Postgres validates constraints on indexes each time the implementation
modifies
the index, rather than on the logical transaction boundaries.

I tried:

UPDATE sometable SET unique_col =  CASE WHEN unique_col = firstvalue THEN secondvalue           ELSE  firstvalue  END
WHERE unique_col = firstvalue     OR unique_col = secondvalue

And:

BEGIN;
SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;

UPDATE sometable SET unique_col = firstvalue WHERE unique_col = secondvalue;
UPDATE sometable SET unique_col = secondvalue WHERE unique_col = firstvalue;

COMMIT;

And both queries fail.

Of course I could prevent this by first updating one of the entries with a
dummy value:

BEGIN;
SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;

UPDATE sometable SET unique_col = dummy WHERE unique_col = secondvalue;
UPDATE sometable SET unique_col = secondvalue WHERE unique_col = firstvalue;
UPDATE sometable SET unique_col = firstvalue WHERE unique_col = dummy;

COMMIT;

But that's more like in a 3GL language and does not cleanly express what I
want.

How can I interchange two values in a unique column? Am I missing something
really
obvious (like a swap statement)? Is there any reason besides performance for
not
making index accesses fully ACID-compliant? Doesn't MVCC require this
anyway?

Thanks for your time,   Daniel Alvarez <d-alvarez@gmx.de>

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: