Rép. : Online backup

От Erwan DUROSELLE
Тема Rép. : Online backup
Дата
Список pgsql-general
The admin guide is really explicit about this (§9 for my 7.2 doc):
"Dumps created by pg_dump are internally consistent, that is updates to the database while pg_dump is running will not
bein the dump. Pg_dump does not block other operations on the database while it is working. ( Exceptions are those
operationsthat need to operate with an exclusive lock, such as vacuum full)."

So Yes, the data will be consistent. It will only contain data that was commited at the time you start pg_dump.

Do not cp $PGDATA (or tar or whatever file-system-level backup) while the database is running. The backup would be
unusable.

Erwan

>>> Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira <baptista@linuxsolutions.com.br> 23/10/2002 04:55 >>>
    Hi all,
    I want to do an online backup.
    All that I see in lists are about cp $PGDATA and pg_dump.
    What about tables that are being updated at the same time the backup is
running? The data will be consistent?
    Thanks,        Paulo Henrique