Re: Addition of --no-sync to pg_upgrade for test speedup

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Addition of --no-sync to pg_upgrade for test speedup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 16.12.21 07:50, Michael Paquier wrote:
> As per $subject, avoiding the flush of the new cluster's data
> directory shortens a bint the runtime of the test.  In some of my slow
> VMs, aka Windows, this shaves a couple of seconds even if the bulk of
> the time is still spent on the main regression test suite.
>
> In pg_upgrade, we let the flush happen with initdb --sync-only, based
> on the binary path of the new cluster, so I think that we are not
> going to miss any test coverage by skipping that.

I think that is reasonable.

Maybe we could have some global option, like some environment variable,
that enables the "sync" mode in all tests, so it's easy to test that
once in a while.  Not really a requirement for your patch, but an idea
in case this is a concern.