Re: Appendix A. PostgreSQL Error Codes

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: Appendix A. PostgreSQL Error Codes
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
> On Apr 28, 2018, at 5:11 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> "Andy Dossett" <dossett@btinternet.com> writes:
>> The use case is pretty simple; my system has thrown an SQL error code, I
>> want to know what it means.
>> Having the list in 'order by sqlstate' sequence would save me from having to
>> hunt up and down the list. And I can easily determine if the error code is
>> missing; I can then raise another bug report.
>
> Hm ... I'm not finding that to be a very compelling argument.  Reading the
> message text is usually *far* more illuminating, because the error codes
> are (in many cases) rather broad categories rather than exact conditions.
> For the use case of "why did I get this error", I'd say that looking in
> Appendix A is quite unhelpful, and sorting it differently wouldn't make
> it any more helpful.

Is this information we might want to add to the main part of the website?
We could provide the list of error codes in Appendix A as is right now,
reference to “see more info on "/support/sql-error-codes/“ or some URL.
The table on such a page could contain features such as:

- sortable by number vs. alphabetical
- “searchable” if needed (eliminate results)
- more information about what causes such errors, perhaps with an
example of the detailed message.

I don’t know if this would be helpful or not. Personally I’ve only looked
at the error codes section a handful of times, mostly out of curiosity or
experimenting with ORM/adapter type code.

Jonathan