Re: pg_ctl status with nonexistent data directory

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pg_ctl status with nonexistent data directory
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Mar  6, 2014 at 12:17:55PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian escribi�:
>>> Technically, you are right, but I tried a while ago to assign meaningful
>>> values to all the exit locations and the community feedback I got was
>>> that we didn't want that.

>> That sounds odd.  Do you have a link?

> Sure, the patch is here:
>     http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130629025033.GI13790@momjian.us
> and the idea of keeping what we have is stated here:
>     http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/51D1E482.5090602@gmx.net

Perhaps I shouldn't be putting words in Peter's mouth, but my reading of
his complaint was that he didn't think you'd mapped the pg_ctl failure
conditions to LSB status codes very well.  That's not necessarily a vote
against the abstract idea of making it more LSB-compliant.

But it seems like we might have to go through it case-by-case to argue out
what's the right error code for each case ... and I'm not sure anybody
thinks it's worth that much effort.