Re: about google summer of code 2016

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: about google summer of code 2016
Дата
Re: about google summer of code 2016  (Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht@8kdata.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> writes:
> On 19/02/16 10:10, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa wrote:
>> Oleg and I discussed recently that a really good addition to a GSoC
>> item would be to study whether it's convenient to have a binary
>> serialization format for jsonb over the wire.

> Seems a bit risky for a GSoC project. We don't know if a different
> serialization format will be a win, or whether we want to do it in the
> end, until the benchmarking is done. It's also not clear what we're
> trying to achieve with the serialization format: smaller on-the-wire
> size, faster serialization in the server, faster parsing in the client,
> or what?

Another variable is that your answers might depend on what format you
assume the client is trying to convert from/to.  (It's presumably not
text JSON, but then what is it?)

Having said that, I'm not sure that risk is a blocking factor here.
History says that a large fraction of our GSoC projects don't result
in a commit to core PG.  As long as we're clear that "success" in this
project isn't measured by getting a feature committed, it doesn't seem
riskier than any other one.  Maybe it's even less risky, because there's
less of the success condition that's not under the GSoC student's control.