Re: [HACKERS] Reducing pg_ctl's reaction time

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Reducing pg_ctl's reaction time
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2017-06-28 13:31:27 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> While looking this over again, I got worried about the fact that pg_ctl
>> is #including "miscadmin.h".  That's a pretty low-level backend header
>> and it wouldn't be surprising at all if somebody tried to put stuff in
>> it that wouldn't compile frontend-side.  I think we should take the
>> opportunity, as long as we're touching this stuff, to split the #defines
>> that describe the contents of postmaster.pid into a separate header file.
>> Maybe "utils/pidfile.h" ?

> Yes, that sounds like a valid concern, and solution.

So when I removed the miscadmin.h include, I found out that pg_ctl is
also relying on PG_BACKEND_VERSIONSTR from that file.

There are at least three things we could do here:

1. Give this up as not worth this much trouble.

2. Move PG_BACKEND_VERSIONSTR into pg_config.h to go along with the
other version-related macros.

3. Give PG_BACKEND_VERSIONSTR its very own new header file.

Any preferences?