Re: reducing the footprint of ScanKeyword (was Re: Large writablevariables)

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: reducing the footprint of ScanKeyword (was Re: Large writablevariables)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/27/18 3:34 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> On 12/27/18 3:00 PM, John Naylor wrote:
>>> This style was cargo-culted from the catalog scripts. I can settle on
>>> just the first form if you like.
>> I would rather we used the standard perl module Getopt::Long, as
>> numerous programs we have already do.
> Hmm ... grepping finds that used only in
>
> src/tools/pgindent/pgindent
> src/tools/git_changelog
> src/pl/plperl/text2macro.pl
>
> so I'm not quite sure about the "numerous" claim.  Adopting that
> here would possibly impose the requirement of having Getopt::Long
> on some developers who are getting by without it today.  However,
> that's a pretty thin argument, and if Getopt::Long is present even
> in the most minimal Perl installations then it's certainly moot.

It's bundled separately, but on both systems I looked at it's needed by
the base perl package. I don't recall ever seeing a system where it's
not available. I'm reasonably careful about what packages the buildfarm
requires, and it's used Getopt::Long from day one.

> On the whole I'm +1 for this.  Perhaps also, as an independent patch,
> we should change the catalog scripts to use Getopt::Long.

Probably some others, too.

cheers

andrew