Re: [HACKERS] FIPS mode?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] FIPS mode?
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] FIPS mode?  (Curtis Ruck <curtis.ruck+pgsql.hackers@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 12:56 PM, Curtis Ruck
> <curtis.ruck+pgsql.hackers@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I clean this up some, maintain styleguide, what is the likely hood of
>> getting this included in the redhat packages, since redhat ships a certified
>> FIPS implementation?

> So they are applying a custom patch to it already?

Don't believe so.  It's been a few years since I was at Red Hat, but
my recollection is that their approach was that it was a system-wide
configuration choice changing libc's behavior, and there were only very
minor fixes required to PG's behavior, all of which got propagated
upstream (see, eg, commit 01824385a).  It sounds like Curtis is trying
to enable FIPS mode inside Postgres within a system where it isn't enabled
globally, which according to my recollection has basically nothing to do
with complying with the actual federal security standard.