Re: Triggers on foreign tables

От Ronan Dunklau
Тема Re: Triggers on foreign tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Le mardi 18 mars 2014 03:54:19 Kouhei Kaigai a écrit :
> > I hacked on this for awhile, but there remain two matters on which I'm
> > uncertain about the right way forward.
> >
> > (1) To acquire the old tuple for UPDATE/DELETE operations, the patch
> > closelyparallels our handling for INSTEAD OF triggers on views.  It
> > adds a wholerow resjunk attribute, from which it constructs a HeapTuple
> > before calling a trigger function.  This loses the system columns, an
> > irrelevant
> > consideration for views but meaningful for foreign tables.  postgres_fdw
> > maintains the "ctid" system column (t_self), but triggers will always see
> > an invalid t_self for the old tuple.  One way to fix this is to pass
> > aroundthe old tuple data as ROW(ctid, oid, xmin, cmin, xmax, cmax,
> > tableoid, wholerow).  That's fairly close to sufficient, but it doesn't
> > cover t_ctid. Frankly, I would like to find a principled excuse to not
> > worry about making foreign table system columns accessible from triggers.
> >  Supporting system columns dramatically affects the mechanism, and what
> > trigger is likely to care?  Unfortunately, that argument seems too weak.
> > Does anyone have a cleaner idea for keeping track of the system column
> > values or a stronger argument for not bothering?
> >

> Regarding to the first suggestion,
> I think, it is better not to care about system columns on foreign tables,
> because it fully depends on driver's implementation whether FDW fetches
> "ctid" from its data source, or not.
> Usually, system columns of foreign table, except for tableoid, are
> nonsense.Because of implementation reason, postgres_fdw fetches "ctid" of
> remote tables on UPDATE / DELETE, it is not a common nature for all FDW
> drivers. For example, we can assume an implementation that uses primary key
> of remote table to identify the record to be updated or deleted. In this
> case, local "ctid" does not have meaningful value.
> So, fundamentally, we cannot guarantee FDW driver returns meaningful "ctid"
> or other system columns.

I agree, I think it is somewhat clunky to have postgres_fdw use a feature that
is basically meaningless for other FDWs. Looking at some threads in this list,
it confused many people.

This is off-topic, but maybe we could devise an API allowing for local "system
attributes" on foreign table. This would allow FDWs to carry attributes that
weren't declared as part of the table definition. This could then be used for
postgres_fdw ctid, as well as others foreign data wrappers equivalent of an
implicit "tuple id".

--
Ronan Dunklau
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org