Re: Order of enforcement of CHECK constraints?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Order of enforcement of CHECK constraints?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> I might be only one objecting here but ...
> On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 12:45 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> My Salesforce colleagues noticed some tests flapping as a result of table
>> CHECK constraints not always being enforced in the same order; ie, if a
>> tuple insertion/update violates more than one CHECK constraint, it's not
>> deterministic which one is reported.  This is evidently because
>> relcache.c's CheckConstraintFetch() just happily loads up the constraints
>> in whatever order it happens to find them in pg_constraint.

> Why is it important to report in deterministic manner?

If nothing else, so as not to have regression-test failures.

> If it really
> matters, we should probably report all the failing constraints.

That wouldn't in itself make the output deterministic (you'd still have to
sort); and in any case that's not going to happen because it would require
running each CHECK constraint in its own subtransaction.  Catching errors
that way is *expensive*.  And there's been zero field demand for such a
behavior, so I don't see us adding cycles for something no one's asked
for.  Sorting the check constraints during relcache load, on the other
hand, is a negligible burden compared to the cost of reading
pg_constraint.