Re: v15rc2(/v15rc1/v15b4) shadowbuild fails when using src from symlink

От Frank van Vugt
Тема Re: v15rc2(/v15rc1/v15b4) shadowbuild fails when using src from symlink
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Hi Alvaro/Michael/Tom,

Op donderdag 6 oktober 2022 18:57:53 CEST schreef Alvaro Herrera:
> On 2022-Oct-06, Frank van Vugt wrote:
> > Just like v15rc1, the second rc fails to compile when using the source
> > from a symlink.
>
> Yeah, nobody has claimed to have fixed this, so this is not surprising.

Agreed and it's obviously not a 'big deal'.

Also there was a lot more going on during the commitfest etc, so I just wanted
to 'repeat' the message until someone was able to find some 'spare time' to
reply ;)

> You didn't reply to Michael's reply to your previous report; any
> thoughts on that?

argh, it seems like I completely missed his initial reply (probably trusted
too much on the 'cc the original sender' ;) ). Sorry 'bout that.

@Michael
"why such an exotic way to build" -> well, 'a bit archaïc' maybe, just
something that came about when I was often building for various architectures
using the same build source, but in no way this is something that 'needs to be
this way' for me, so I'm happy to adapt ;)

> [AH] Maybe if you propose a fix, we can discuss it.

> [MP] Agreed, getting a supporting buildfarm animal set up would be
> an important step if we wanted to accept such a patch.

> [AH] maybe a more convenient way forward is <cut> tell Frank to use
> our Meson build instead.  (Not available until 16)

> [TL] +1, I think we're committed to spending future effort on
> the meson infrastructure not the autoconf infrastructure.

Tnx guys for all the background info, I couldn't agree more, fixing this in
the autoconf realm seems a moot point.

During v14/v15 I'll just handle this by building in a slightly different way,
as soon as the meson infrastructure shows up, we'll take if from there (if
needed at all).

--

Best,

Frank.