Re: Code of Conduct plan

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Code of Conduct plan
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Tangential, are there plans to increase number of core team members.  IIRC
> its actually decreased by one between the time of the first proposal of the
> CoC and now.

We're thinking about it, but it's not something to be hasty over.

> As an outside observer I am a bit curious that the Core Team wouldn't be
> able to handle accepting the, likely low volume, of complaints directly; is
> the management of a committee necessary?

That's more or less how things have worked up to now, or really not
worked, because there have been hardly any incidents in which anyone
approached core for such a complaint.  I would say there are a number
of things wrong with it:

1. Nobody knows that they could approach core on such a matter;

2. Nobody knows exactly what sorts of matters core might be willing
to act on;

3. There's no appeal process, nor any clean way to deal with the
situation if the complaint is against a core member.  (Which is a
case I sure hope never happens, but we ought to design to handle it.)

So publishing a formal CoC at all is mainly meant to deal with weak
points 1 and 2, and then the details of the process are there to try
to fix point 3.

Yeah, managing the committee is a lot of overhead that in an ideal
world we wouldn't need, but I think we have to accept it to have a
process people will have confidence in.