Re: 9.4 Proposal: Initdb creates a single table

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: 9.4 Proposal: Initdb creates a single table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 24 April 2014 05:32, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
>> Since contrib/pgcrypto is a module that might well not be installed,
>> people can't just build software for PostgreSQL and have UUIDs
>> available, certainly not in the sense that, for example, BIGSERIAL is.

> +1 to include in core - strange to have a UUID datatype in core but no
> means to generate

The reason why there's no generation function in core is that there is no
standardized, guaranteed-to-produce-a-universally-unique-value generation
algorithm.  That was the reason for not putting something in core when the
type was first created, and I do not see that the technology has advanced.