Re: State of Beta 2

От Manfred Koizar
Тема Re: State of Beta 2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:51:00 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
wrote:
>transfer the schema into the new installation using "pg_dump -s" and
>then push the user tables and indexes physically into place.

I'm more in favour of in-place upgrade.  This might seem risky, but I
think we can expect users to backup their PGDATA directory before they
start the upgrade.

I don't trust pg_dump because

. it doesn't help when the old postmaster binaries are not longer
available

. it does not always produce scripts that can be loaded without manual
intervention.  Sometimes you create a dump and cannot restore it with
the same Postmaster version.  RTA.

Servus
 Manfred