Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at the end of relation

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at the end of relation
Дата
Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation  (Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Andres was working on a radix tree structure to fix this problem, but
> that seems to be abandoned now, and it seems a major undertaking.  While
> I agree that the proposed solution is a wart, it seems much better than
> no solution at all.  Can we consider Fujii's proposal as a temporary
> measure until we fix shared buffers?  I'm +1 on it myself.

Once we've introduced a user-visible reloption it's going to be
practically impossible to get rid of it, so I'm -1.  I'd much rather
see somebody put some effort into the radix-tree idea than introduce
a kluge that we'll be stuck with, and that doesn't even provide a
good user experience.  Disabling vacuum truncation is *not* something
that I think we should recommend.

Сообщение: Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation
Сообщение: Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation