Re: Future Non-server Windows support???

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Future Non-server Windows support???
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Bill Haught <wlhaught4754323@att.net> writes:
> I noticed that for 11.2, non-server versions of Windows are not listed
> as supported platforms.  Is support in the process of being dropped for
> non-server editions of Windows when 10.7 is no longer supported
> (apparently years away though)?  Or will such support be added to 11.2
> or some later versions in the future?

Well, there are two independent questions there: what does the source
code support, and what platforms are people distributing prebuilt
packages for.

I'm not aware of any community policy change with respect to what the
source code supports.  The oldest active Windows machine I see in the
buildfarm is Windows 7 + MSVC 2013, so we can reasonably confidently say
that it still works that far back.  If you are concerned about something
older, the right way to make it happen is to host a buildfarm animal [1]
on a machine running the version you care about.  (We have semi-officially
given up on Windows XP, for what that's worth --- but that was a couple
years ago.)

As for prebuilt packages, that's something you'd have to discuss with
the package builders --- or else build your own packages.  I do vaguely
recall hearing that EDB had decided to cut back the number of distinct
Windows versions they build packages for, but that's theirs to decide
not a community matter.

            regards, tom lane

[1] https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/register-form.pl