Re: [HACKERS] Threads vs Processes

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Threads vs Processes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers-win32
Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
>We can simply create a registry key that would contain shared memory id
from
>where a child process should get the variable values.

Instead of a registry key value would it not be better to dispatch a
message?

FWIW, (and INAH) I think you are correct about the threads vs. process
issue.  The fork/exec issue is solvable.  The switch to threads could
bring in all kinds of unforeseen issues.

Also, the performance penalty of processes is greatly overstated.
Postgres is not a web server and seeing the running processes in your
process manager has a lot of administrative benefits (the technical
issues of fork/exec notwithstanding).  You can see cpu load, run time,
kernel times, etc. without any extra software, just like in unix.

Merlin