Re: Which database?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Which database?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Kaarel wrote:
Hi

I am fairly new to databases, but my boss has assigned me to choose a
database system for our company. I know of Oracle databases but they are

way too expensive so it's not an option for us. I did some research and
came up with two free database systems that seemed to be more popular -
MySQL and PostgreSQL. The problem is that I can't make a decision
between the two because I have practically no experience. Some say MySQL

is easier to use, some say PostgreSQL is more robust etc. Most articles
seem to celarly favor one or the other. It is very hard to find an
objective comparison. And I have to explain my boss why I chose either
one. So perhaps some of you can give me some reasons why to choose MySQL

over Postgre.

Thanks,
Kaarel
kaarel@future.ee
---------------------------------

Well, posting on the advocacy list as you did, you should not expect too
many pro-mysql statements here.  However, I have worked with both
databases and I will do my best to give a fair comparison.

The short answer:
I would use mysql if:
1. I needed to deploy on windows with a simple installation (note:
changing soon!)
2. I expected a massive load on a mostly static database and planned to
use replication.  Postgres is also getting replication soon, but several
months away yet.
3. I planned to use some tools which were mysql specific.
4. My data requirements are not overly complex.
5. My database is not critical to my daily operations (to be fair: many
high profile sites use mysql to back their database, but this rule
applies to the average developer, at least, it applied to me).

Otherwise I can tell you that postgres is a better database for most
applications.  It is has a much richer feature set and is highly
configurable.  You will not be unhappy if you choose postgres, I can
promise you that.  Also, if you are learning database programming
postgres has better procedural support and good constraints support.
These features are very good because they promote good database design.
Honestly, unless you have some pretty stiff requirements either database
will probably work and thus becomes a matter of taste.  However, unless
you meet the criteria above, there is not good reason not to choose
postgres.

Regards,
Merlin