Re: Adding optionally commit number in PG_VERSION_STR

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Adding optionally commit number in PG_VERSION_STR
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> It happens that I work occasionally on multiple builds based on
> different stable branches at the same time to check fixes that need to
> be backpatched, and I tend to easily lose track on which version the
> build I created is based on (Duh!). There is of course the version
> number up to the 3rd digit available (for example 9.2.4, 9.3beta2,
> etc.), but as a developer I think that it would be helpful to include
> the commit ID in PG_VERSION_STR to get a better reference on exactly
> what the development build is based on. This could be controlled by an
> additional flag in ./configure.in called something like
> --enable-version-commit, of course disabled by default. If enabled,
> PG_VERSION_STR would be generated with the new information. configure
> would also return an error when this flag is enabled if git is either
> not found, or if the repository where configure is not a native git
> repository.

Personally, I'd find that pretty useless, because the build I'm running
has typically got uncommitted changes in it.  Also, there isn't any good
way to set PG_VERSION_STR except at configure time, which means the
common practice of doing (at most) "make clean" before rebuilding would
not result in an updated string even if you had committed.